Kenilworth School District No. 38 is committed to providing equal education and extracurricular opportunities to all students without regard to color, race, nationality, religion, sex, sexual orientation, ancestry, age, physical or mental disability, gender identity, status of being homeless, order of protection status and actual or potential marital or parental status. Each student must meet the requirements of resident or non-resident status in order to enroll at The Joseph Sears School:
1. Resident status
- A student must reside within district boundaries with his or her parent(s) or legal guardian.
- If a student resides within district boundaries with his or her legal guardian who is not the student's natural or adoptive parent, the legal guardian must complete a signed statement asserting the following:
- That he or she has assumed and exercises legal responsibility for the student
- The reason the student lives with him or her other than to receive an education in the district
- That he or she exercises full control over the student regarding daily educational and medical decisions in case of emergency.
- If a student resides within district boundaries with his or her non-parent legal guardian and the district knows the current address of the student's natural or adoptive parents, the district will request in writing that the parent complete a sworn statement asserting the following:
- Describing the role and custodial responsibilities of the person with whom their child is living
- That the person with whom the child is living has full control over the child regarding daily educational decisions and medical decisions in case of emergency
- A student whose family moves out of the district during the school year will be permitted to attend school for the remainder of the year without having to pay tuition.
- When a student's change of residence is due to the military service obligation of the student's parent or legal guardian, the student's residence is deemed to be unchanged for the duration of the parent or legal guardian's military service obligation if the student's custodian makes a written request.
- If, at the time of enrollment, a dependent child of military personnel is housed in temporary housing located outside of the district but will be living within district boundaries within 60 days after the time of initial enrollment, the student will be allowed to enroll on a tuition-free bases, subject to Illinois State Law.
2. Non-resident status
- A student living outside of district boundaries with his or her parent(s) or legal guardians may request to enroll at The Joseph Sears School. The superintendent may approve the request subject to the following provisions:
- The student must be an incoming 8th grader who has attended The Joseph Sears School for the previous school year.
- The student will only be accepted if classroom space and instructional resources permit.
- The student's parent(s) or legal guardian will be charged the maximum amount of tuition as allowed by Illinois State Law.
- The student's parent(s) or legal guardian will be responsible for transporting the student to and from school.
- Any child legally designated as homeless shall be immediately admitted, even if the child's parent(s) or legal guardian is unable to produce records normally required to establish residency. School Board Policy 6:140 and its implementing administrative procedures govern the enrollment of homeless children.