The beginning of an incredible journey
The formative years of a child's life are critically important to ensuring that child begins his or her academic journey with the tools he or she needs to succeed. As such, The Joseph Sears School Junior Kindergarten Program provides each student with experiences that contribute to social and emotional development, language and number readiness as well as fine and gross motor skill development to help children prepare for kindergarten.
By The Numbers
2 certified teachers in each classroom
2 field trips taken throughout the year
3 on-site support specialists to assist students, including a licensed school nurse, a school psychologist and a speech/language pathologist
A maximum of 16 students per class
40 minutes of weekly French or Spanish instruction
- The junior kindergarten curriculum is both play-based and rooted in academic fundamentals.
- Program tuition is $6,000 for the 2016-2017 and 2017-2018 school years with a $500 non-refundable deposit required during registration.
- The junior kindergarten curriculum includes units in literacy, math, science and social studies along with instructional time devoted to specials such as music, library, physical education, French and Spanish.
- Junior kindergarten includes a deep social emotional learning component that emphasizes conflict resolution, self expression, listening and sharing.
- Junior kindergarten is an excellent way to prepare students to enter kindergarten at Joseph Sears. Students will begin kindergarten familiar with their environment, classmates and specials teachers.
- Junior kindergarten students are regularly monitored by the district's on-site school psychologist for delays in growth and development.
- Junior kindergarten literacy and math curriculum is aligned with Illinois State Learning Standards.
- The Junior Kindergarten Program runs from 8:15 to 11 a.m. from September to December then shifts to 8:15 a.m. to 12 p.m. from January to June to ease children into the transition to full-day kindergarten.